Playwrights Foundation Alumni and Resident Playwrights News
PF is proud to share news about productions and awards of our alumni and resident playwrights.
Congratulations to Alumni and Resident Playwrights on their recent successes!
- Christopher Chenís THE HUNDRED FLOWERS PROJECT will be produced in 2014 by Chicago's Silk Road Rising from April 29 - June 01, 2014.
- Mallery Avidonís queerSpawn, which had its first draft read as part of the 2011-12 Rough Reading Series, is now running in New York at the Here Arts Center by A Collection of Shiny Objects from May 10 - 19, 2013.
- We are proud to announce that Christopher Chenís THE HUNDRED FLOWERS PROJECT had 4 Bay Area Theatre Critics Circle award nominations and the Des Voix...Found in Translation Festival had 1.
- Yussef El Guindi's award-winning play PILGRIMS MUSA AND SHERI IN THE NEW WORLD opens April 25 at Lesher Center for the Arts - Knight Stage 3 Theatre in Walnut Creek
- Initially developed through PF, Thomas Bradshaw's JOB was a hit in New York. Check out another Bradshaw play, THE BEREAVED through Crowded Fire at the Thick House in SF through April 27.
- Lauren Gunderson's BY AND BY premieres at Shotgun (May 22nd - June 23rd).
- Christopher Chen awarded the Glickman for THE HUNDRED FLOWERS PROJECT.
- Aurora Theatre Company presents Anthony Clarvoe's OUR PRACTICAL HEAVEN, running through March 3rd.
- Tanya Shaffer has a new musical! Check out THE FOURTH MESSENGER, playing at the Ashby Stage in Berkeley from February 6th - March 10th.
- Crowded Fireís 2013 Season features plays from Resident Playwrights and alumni Christopher Chen (THE INVISIBLE PLAY), Lauren Gunderson (THE TAMING), Geetha Reddy (BLUE GOD COUNTDOWN), Lachlan Philpott (TRUCK STOP), Thomas Bradshaw (THE BEREAVED), and Frances Ya-Chu Cowhig (410[GONE]). Click here for more information.
- PF Resident Playwright Andrew Saitoís KRISPY KRITTERS IN THE SCARLETT NIGHT will premiere at Cutting Ball Theater in May 2013.
- Katori Hallís THE MOUNTAINTOP (BAPF 2008) continues its life in various region theaters including TheatreWorks (March 6th - April 7th), Arena Stage (March 29th - May 12th), and CenterStage (January 9th - February 24th).
- Steve Yockey's play Wolves (Rough Readings 2010) will receive its first production at Actorís Express in Atlanta, November 7th-December 2nd, 2012 at King Plow Art Center, Atlanta, GA.
- Christopher Chenís The Hundred Flowers Project script won the 2012 Rella Lossy Playwrights Award, and will receive its world premeire co-production as part of Crowded Fireís 2012 season, with Playwrights Foundation! October 28th-November 17th, 2012 at The Thick House, San Francisco, CA.
- foolsFURY Theater will premiere Port Out, Starboard Home by Sheila Callaghan (PF co-commission BAPF 2010) September 7th-23rd 2012 with runs in both San Francisco and New York.
- After being featured in the BAPF 2012, Lauren Yeeís Samsara was part of Victory Gardenís Ignition Festival in Chicago, IL in August 2012.
- We are Proud to PresentÖ by Jackie Sibilies Drury (BAPF 2011) received its first production at Victory Gardens Theater in April. We are Proud to Present... will be featured in the SOHO Rep in New York City this season, November 7th-December 16th.
- LAUREN GUNDERSONís Exit Pursued by Bear ran throughout the country in 2012 at ArtsWest Playhouse and Gallery (April 18th-May 13th) in Seattle, WA and Theatre Seven of Chicago (June 7th-July15th) in Chicago, IL. The play may also be seen at Hyde Park Theatre (August 18th-September 8th) in Austin, TX.
- Lisa Kronís The Ver**on Play (Rough Readings May 18th-19th) premiered at the Humana Festival of New Plays in Louisville, Kentucky in March 2012).
- Katori Hallís The Mountaintop (BAPF 2008) ran on Broadway staring Samuel L. Jackson and Angela Bassett.
- Rajiv Josephís Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo ran on Broadway staring Robin Williams.
- Congrats to Julia Jarcho on her upcoming production of Dreamless Land, listed in Time Out New York's "Top 20 shows to see this Fall"! Check it out at the Abrons Art Center in NYC, opening Nov. 4.
- In a co-production with Playwrights Horizons and La Jolla Playhouse, Kirsten Greenidge's Milk Like Sugar will play at Women's Project Oct. 13-Nov. 20.
- Andrea Kuchlewska was chosen to participate in the Lab at Women's Project. Her two-year artistic residency will culminate in June 2012 with We Play For The Gods, a collaborative piece created by the WP Lab residents.
- Steve Yockey has been selected for Center Theatre Group's 2011-12 Writers' Workshop! Congrats to our Rough Reading alum.
- Jen Silverman's (BAPF 2008 Alumni) Crane Story plays in New York at Cherry Lane Theater through October 1, 2011. Read the New York Times review!
- Christine Evans' (BAPF Alumni/NPI Instructor) Trojan Barbie has its U.K. premiere March 3rd in Warwick with Playbox Theatre. Trojan Barbie won the 2007 Jane Chambers Award, the 2009 Rhode Island State Council on the Arts Playwriting Fellowship, and the "Plays for the 21st Century" award. It's also in print with Samuel French!
- John O'Keefe's (BAPF Alumni) Disgrace at the Blank Line Collective played in Chicago through October 16, 2010. Find out more details and read a review.
- Dominic Orlando's (BAPF and PPI Alumni) Danny Casolaro Died For You (BAPF 2009) has it's world premiere at Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theater. Now through October 17.
- Peter Sinn Nachtrieb (PF Resident Playwright) won the 2010 Barrie and Bernice Stavis Playwriting Award for his play Bob, developed on PF's Rough Readings series. Additionally, the play will premiere at the 2011 Humana Festival of New Plays.
- Sam D. Hunter (multiple program alumnus) 5 stars of 5 from Time Out New York, and critics pick from the New York Times for A Bright New Boise with The Wild Project, 195 East 3rd Street, NY through October 2. Tickets are $18, but special $10 tickets are available if you use the code BOISE10 at checkout.
- Marcus Gardley's every tongue confess (developed on PF Bay Area Playwrights Festival) opens at Arena Stage on November 18, 2010.
- Deborah Stein (Rough Readings and Festival Alumnae with play Natasha and the Coat) won a McKnight Advancement Grant for the Playwrights' Center in Minneapolis where she has been a core member.
- Enrique Urueta's Learn To Be Latina (BAPF 2006) Opened on December 3, 2010 at Stray Cat Theatre in Tempe, AZ.
- Liz Duffy Adams' (Multiple program Alumnae) Or, has its west coast premiere at the Magic Theatre, San Francisco on November 4, 2010.
- Prince Gomolvilas' (BAPF Alumnus) Mysterious Skin is playing at East West Players in Los Angeles through October 10, 2010. "Mysterious Skin at East West Players begs to be seen. This is riveting, intelligent theatre for the socially conscious." Prince's The Last Gayorcism just finished at Flash Festival: Week 2 in Los Angeles.
- JC Lee's (2010 BAPF Alumnus) Pookie Goes Grenading and Into the Clear Blue Sky will be produced in New York City opening November 18, 2010 at the Payan Theatre near Times Square.